- - Forest Plant Seed Collection and Classification
- - Forest wetland research GIS technology development and conservation research
- - Rare, indigenous plants characteristics assessment, conservation and restoration research
- - Gwangneung forest major habitat monitoring and accurate habitat map production research
- - Ulleung-do research of forest plant species diversity and ecosystem conservation
- - Seaside plant and parasitism plant resource investigation
- - Exhibition place and temperate house exhibition method development research
- - Public and personal arboretum facilities and management improvement study
Collection and Classification of Forest Plant Seeds
- Forest plant seeds collection and morphological research for the conservation of the forest plant usage.
- - Collected 228 pieces 222 species of 61 families in 2002, 940 pieces 560 species of 97 families in 2003, 1,416 pieces 727 species of 106 families in 2004, 768 pieces 541 species of 96 families in 2005, 514 pieces 637 species of 77 families in 2006, 311 pieces 262 species of 70 families in 2007, in total collected 4,177 pieces 1,313 species of forest plant seed during 6 years.
- - Collected 21 species of 16 families in 2002, 48 species of 28 families in 2003, 49 species of 32 families in 2004, 51 species 31 families in 2005, 42 species of 23 families in 2006, 19 species of 22 families in 2007, in total collected 291 pieces 140 species of rare and indigenous plant seeds.
Forest Wetland Research GIS Technology Development and Conservation Research
- Seize the habitat of forest wet land and secure biodiversity through plant resources research and strengthen the forest ecosystem conservation.
- - As a wetland location searching method using 2007 GIS, we have identified 100 new forest wet lands, and this method has been filed for patent application.
- - We have published 『Forest Wet Land Research Manual 2007』 following the flow chart to standardize the research method.
- - Divide 5 local government offices into 2 fields and made the field education effectively, and if some problems occur during the filed research, implement re-education to standardize the research method.
Rare, Indigenous Plants Characteristics Assessment and Conservation and Restoration Research
- Determine conservation ranking with wild monitoring and characteristic assessment for the conservation of rare and indigenous plants of Korea, and prepared the rare and indigenous plant list, and in-situ, ex-situ conservation restoration through genetic mutation analysis and propagation.
2) Research Background and History
- - Need to study systematically for the conservation of continuous forest bio species diversity of Korea rare plants which are in danger of disappearing.
- - With the present usage and rarity of rare and indigenous plants, as the appropriate resources combined with potential usage, it takes precedence of conservation in environment and industrial side.
- - Rare and indigenous plants are resources to conserve not only in country but also as a global resources that the international participation and activities of International Union of Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and International United Environment Plan (UNEP).
- - As the research and the result services of the Red Data, rare and indigenous plants resources, it contributes in continuous development of forest science and there is need to explain the necessity of conservation of rare plants general knowledge to the experts and to the public.
Gwangneung Forest Major Habitat Monitoring and Accurate Habitat Map Production Research
- - Continuous conservation and restoration of Gwangneung forest major bio species.
- - Build vegetation science for Gwangneung forest ecosystem conservation.
- - Gwangneung forest, located in the metropolitan area, is under increasing pressure of development because of the geographical conditions, the biota is decreasing and the disturbance factor is increasing because of the development, the effective and continuous conservation and management scheme is needed.
- - The pass through roadside trees of the Gwangneung forest is planted from 1850’s, the management scheme of the old trees of the pass through roadside trees to maintain ecosystem of entire Gwangneung forest.
- - Vegetation data, which is the basic information for the conservation of Gwangneun ecosystem, interrelation vegetation map from KFS clinical map and forestry statement is unique.
- - In case of clinical map and interrelation vegetation map, it is insufficient as the vegetation status data on many other places like Gwangneung forest with outside disturbance threat.
- - To conserve Gwangneung forest ecosystem, it is needed to note the accurate vegetation map based on topography, altitude, environment factors and its origin.
Ullung-Do Research Forest Plant Species Diversity and Ecosystem Conservation
- - Conservation of biota diversity of Ullung-Do study forest.
- - Conservation of ecosystem of Ullung-Do study forest.
2) Research Background and History
- - Ullung-do test forest is designated as No. 2002-8 of South District Forestry Management Office on Dec. 12, 2002 (size 1,027,041㎡) located in San 31-1, Na-Ri, Book-Myun, Ullung-Kun, Kyungsangbuk-Do, Korea
- - Ullung-do including Ullung-Do test forest shows peculiar plant habitat caused to climate, geographical, topographical characteristics and caused to the geographical isolation, it is the treasury of the plant ecological resources of diverse habitat of indigenous and rare plants , and academic value.
- - Due to the destruction and dividing compartment of the wild growth area due to rapid change of ecosystem, indiscriminate mining and development along with the climate change, as extermination and threatening of indigenous and useful plant resource if increasing, it is needed to create overall and systematic measures for specified taxon conservation and continuous use.
- - As a basic study for the characteristic clinical conservation and systematic management of Ullung-Do peculiar plant species, this is the point of time to have systematic and continuous research on plant species diversity and the subject of conservation species for the conservation of ecosystem and group habitat.
Seaside Plant and Parasitism Plant Resource Investigation
- Develop the resource credit and maximize the utilization through exploring on coastal and parasitism of plant resources.
(1) Explore Coastal Plants
- From 2004 to 2007, for four years of time, we have classified East, West, South of Korea and Jeju-Do region in salt marsh, coastal dunes coastal forest vegetation area and have implement the habitat research of appearance plants through documents and field research.
- Result of the environmental adaptability analysis of salt resistibility of plants that grow in salt marsh and coastal dunes, it showed that the contained quantity of Na of the soil decrease as the distance grows from the coast, and plants like cyperaceous, cypress vine and sea lavender absorb selectively K of the soil, grain, Russian thistle and madder plant absorb Na of the soil and show the mechanism of storing up inside the body.
- Through the to three researches and experiments, we have ranked salt tolerance level estimated method into 5 levels, calculated final salt tolerant assessment grade via expert’s review based on the 4 years of survey results in early 2008.
(2) Explore Coastal Plants
- Executed habitat survey of 20 parasitic plants using samples (2,200 pieces) and document (169 pieces) in 2006 and 2007.
- Result of survey of the genetic diversity between the groups of parasitic plants from 10 various area including Jeju, it is revealed that 6 chloroplasts haplotype exists. Woody aerial plants including taxillusyadoriki are related directly with host plant habitat. In each 6 different latitudes, the mutual relation between parasitic plants habitat and altitude.
- The core ITS genotype of parasitic individuals show various chloroplast haplotype has been surveyed all identity.
- The major host parasitic plant that lives between altitude 217m to 361m in Nejangsan area, 3 chloroplast haplotype is observed such as hornbeam, Japanese oak and oriental oak, but there are no relation with host plant species, altitude or gender.
- As the result of inoculation of parasitic to 11 species of host plants, 100% of inspiration occurrence and the survival rate appears to 22% till November.
- Total protein content of the parasitic do not show any difference between host plant species, but oleanolic acid and homo-flavoyadorinin-B has been surveyed high content in a part of region group.
Exhibition Place and Temperate House Exhibition Method Development Research
- Explore various exhibition subjects and making-up techniques, we try to strengthen the exhibition and conservation function of specialized exhibition garden within KNA through developing exhibition technique based on plant ecological characteristics.
- - Through 『Fern Garden Creation Plan and Design』, we have created the fern garden of 1,200m²arranged properly by ecological characteristic with already collected ferns where it is located now (2005).
- - Implemented ‘Plan for Creation and Design of Children’s Garden’ gathering opinions including subject composition and space preference of children, and also implemented basic planting project through investigation of the ecological characteristics of tropical plants and re-introduction of plant species selected according to the change of the glasshouse scale. We have predicted landscape through 3D-Sierra program for partial space (2006).
- - We have implemented the blind garden remodeling plant through touch garden project, and also implemented general design technique, feeling garden and cure garden function when planning and designing. In addition we made detail plan based on the growth characteristics of various and sensitive tropical plants through ecological planting techniques and detailed design research service and soil layout by planting base and growth environment (2007).
- - In case of fern garden, we have made the exhibition garden throughout the plan and design, but the construction has been postponed because of the budget.
Public and Personal Arboretum Facilities and Management Improvement Study
- - Present the direction of specialization and characterization of arboretum administration and management
- - Establish installation standard for arboretum creation and registration
- - Understanding the change of blooming time through major regional flowering time investigation
(1) Standardization of collection, conservation and management technique of arboretum plant resources.
- Research 54 places including 23 places of public arboretum, 24 places of private arboretum, 6 places of University arboretum to investigate possessing plants by each arboretum.
- It is analyzed that 71% of public arboretum registered in KFS have over 1,000 species, 56% of private arboretum non-registered have less than 1,000 species.
- In case of 64% of private arboretums have less than 1,000 plant species, and in case of University arboretum 50% of registered arboretum have less than 1,000 species.
(2) Standardize installation standard of public and private arboretum facilities and plants garden creation technique.
- Surveyed 4 facilities including glasshouse, herbarium, museum (exhibition hall), wildlife conservatory.
- It is surveyed that there are 46% of glasshouse, 8% of herbarium, 25% of museum, 13% of wildlife conservatory in public arboretums.
- In case of private arboretum, only 17% out of total surveyed arboretums run temperate house. Accordingly, it is considered to add the glasshouse as the mandatory facility for the registration standard is appropriate.